Shenandoah Valley Organics, Harrisonburg, Virginia
Shenandoah Valley Organic is proud to be the first major organic poultry company in Virginia. With Rockingham County being the largest poultry producing county in the state, it would be only natural for the region to be home to the first ever major Organic chicken complex. SVO prides itself in producing the highest quality organic free range chicken. USDA Organic food products have met the U.S. Federal requirements for inspection and certification as defined for the “USDA Organic” label. Though the federal definition of “organic” is very complex, one of the most important regulations is that animals must be fed a 100% organic, all-vegetable diet. In addition, our poultry is given:
- NO antibiotics
- NO use of animal by-products
- NO grains grown with chemical fertilizers
- NO synthetic amino acids
- NO genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- NO pesticide treated grains
- NO steroids.
A Certified Humane label assures the consumer that the animal has been raised in a healthful and low-stress environment necessary for a good quality of life. Among the many things that SVO ensures as part of their Humane Certification:
- Chickens have constant access to shelter, food, and water.
- Chickens are not debeaked at birth.
- Birds are slaughtered according to strict humane procedures to guarantee that the birds are subjected to minimal stress and pain.
- Flock conditions (densities, handling, loading, transport, etc) and handled within the Humane guidelines.
- Animals under Certified Humane treatment are fed a diet free from growth hormones and antibiotics.